On Tuesday 13 April 2004 12:40 pm, David E. Fox wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 01:02:02 -0500
>
> Chuck Mattsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Well, somehow in the massive updates of today after cooker
> > mirrors came alive again, I've lost KDE ... not critical, as
> > I've access to everything, but KDE itself seems to have gone
> > missing.  Even did an install of the new 3.2.1 via MCC, but
> > it doesn't seem to have taken. I watched a few hundred MB
> > install, but the same files still show as
>
> I haven't done a mass update from my cooker install for maybe a
> week or too, yet the last time I tried, I got curl errors
> telling me that it could not cd to Mandrake or some such. I
> went to the easy urpmi site(s), yet I get a rather prominent
> notice that all 10.0 mirrors are broken, and this text hasn't
> changed for a while.
>
> I'm trying it again (www.urpmi.org) but at present the site
> stalled for quite a while before presenting the command lines
> to use. I'm hoping this will give me a good set of mirrors to
> use.
> (Normally, I've used uninett for main and sunet for contrib).

     EZ urpmi almost certainly won't give you good mirror URL's.
You'll need to use a browser, paste in the bad url, then delete
all but the very base of it, EG,  ftp://ftp.uninett.no/linux/

     Then progress down thru the directories, EG, (for cooker)
ftp://ftp.uninett.no/linux/mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/base
     For official,
ftp://ftp.uninett.no/linux/mandrakelinux/official/10.0   ....but
there's no RPMS directories present (just now). So you'll need to
look for another mirror if you want 10.0 updates ;(

     The reason I used the cooker example is I took it all the way
to /base.   There I see (just now) that the (synthesis)hdlist*'s
haven't been updated in 3 days.  So you'll need to look for
another mirror ;(

      For a mirror to be viable, you need to check the structure,
and if that's OK, then you need to check that it's also up to
date. Gott'a have both. ... and some mirrors (eg, proxad) with
new structure and are up to date, have changed structure several
times in the last few days.  So it's a never ending challenge.
The plus side is the mirrors aren't crowded ;))
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American