On Thursday 15 April 2004 14:21, Rory wrote:
> On Thursday 15 April 2004 7:29 am, Rick Kunath wrote:
> > Thanks for the tips on the kernel install.
> >
> > I have installed them many times.
> >
> > What was curious about the behavior of Mandrake Update in this
> > case is that unlike the behavior in the past, the kernel source
> > was never shown in the update list. In the past, whenever a new
> > bugfix kernel was released, the kernel source would show up in
> > the updates list, prompting the user to install it, then follow
> > that with the installation of the appropriate kernel as you
> > described. The presence of the kernel source was always a good
> > flag that new kernels were available for installation. That
> > didn't happen this time.
>
> Interesting, Becasause yesterday, urpmi did prompt me to install
> 2.6.3-8mdk. So, I did, noting that people on this forum had said
> that you don't install kernals that way.  Everything seemed to go
> fine.  But now, I can't find 2.6.3-8.  I don't know where it
> installed to and it hasn't appeared as an option in my boot
> configuration.

Rory, in a terminal, type "uname -a" or take a look inside the
drectory /boot. Better yet, edit (as root) your /etc/lilo.conf
where you can change the default line to your new kernel. Don't
forget to run lilo when done.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
* Sent from a 100 % Microsoft-free computer *
* running Linux kernel 2.6.4 on Mandrake 10.0 *