On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 06:42 am, many eyes viewed Stephen Kuhn's words:-
> On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 06:25, Weiers Coetser wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm running Mandrake 9.2 in a dual boot set-up with Windows.
> >
> > On at least three occasions I've lost some of my working documents in
> > the process of rebooting. When I log out the Open Office Documents are
> > open, but when I log on they are nowhere to be found, not in my Trash or
> > in the place where I saved them last. I save frequently, so it is not an
> > issue of losing the document because I never saved.
>
> Why would you leave ANY applications running when you log out? By
> logging out you kill those applications and any data that's in them...so
> yes, you would effectively loose the data (or document) that you're
> working on. You should always close/save applications/data prior to
> logging off...
>
> > Once or twice when I started Open Office, the filename was displayed and
> > I was asked if I wanted to restore the session or save it... I can't
> > remember exactly, but I think I chose both the options at different
> > times and each time the result was that the file dissappeared for good.
>
> Try looking in the ~/.openoffice/usr/temp directory - MAYBE your
> documents (the lost ones) are in there somewhere...

Further to this, though not at all in my experience required on a Linux
Mandrake system, in the /Tools/Options/Load/Save/General, you can specify
saving every........ however many minutes apart. It will prompt you to
remember to save on the first attempt and after do so without intrusion of
your work, unless you ask to be prompted each time.

There also you can also select backup each copy, and at the end of a week or
whenever burn the backups to a CD and delete them from /home.

I have never lost any data in OpenOffice, even when foolishly I have logged
out accidentally when the program was still running.

So I would say that's another thing you're doing wrong?

Charlie

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524