On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 21:25, Weiers Coetser wrote:
> I'm running Mandrake 9.2 in a dual boot set-up with Windows.

Same here.

> On at least three occasions I've lost some of my working documents in
> the process of rebooting. When I log out the Open Office Documents are
> open, but when I log on they are nowhere to be found, not in my Trash or
> in the place where I saved them last. I save frequently, so it is not an
> issue of losing the document because I never saved.
>
> Once or twice when I started Open Office, the filename was displayed and
> I was asked if I wanted to restore the session or save it... I can't
> remember exactly, but I think I chose both the options at different
> times and each time the result was that the file dissappeared for good.
>
> Does anybody have any clue what happened. I've lost some crucial data in
> the process. What am I doing wrong?

I've had precisely the same experience- with regularly saved documents.
I lost a 3000 word essay that was due in a few days! Searched
*everywhere* but it was gone. It's clearly some sort of bug with the way
OOo is closed/restored when you log out. It is handy to have KDE reopen
all yr windows so you can start exactly where you left off, I do the
same. BUT the trick seems to be to close all yr OOo windows before
logging out.

If I find the time I'll report this one of these days. Just not exactly
sure who to report it to- mdk, kde, or OOo? Wish I had found some logs
of what exactly goes wrong.

So- no advice really! Just sympathy- wanted to let you know it isn't
just you!

A.

ps. This experience has rekindled my enthusiasm for *very* regular
backups- back up as regularly as you can afford to loose data. There's
no guarantee yr next shutdown won't be yr last!