On Wednesday 21 Apr 2004 9:24 pm, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> In case of nothing (exept the keyboard) working, and right before
> you consider a hard reset, you have to play a little piano-sonata :
>
> <Alt> + <SysRq> + r + s + e + i + u + b
>
> (Mnemotech : Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring)
>
> This sequence performs a clean reboot, including sync.

There are one or two people who have recently said they had no option
but a hard reset. I would say it was absolutely vital to do this
sequence, even if you think the keyboard is dead.

I would suggest that Raising Skinny Elephants Is Sometimes Utterly
'Orrible, because

It's probably a good idea to sync after killing all the tasks.

A soft reboot doesn't send a bus reset to the peripherals, so it might
leave them in a bad state. Given the choice it's better to switch the
machine off.

But either version is a lot better than nothing.

--
Richard Urwin