On April 21, 2004 14:24, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 April 2004 21:40, Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Is there a Mandrake equivalent to Ctrl-Alt-Del, which on Windoze
> > 2K usually at least allows me to gain enough control to do a
> > clean shutdown (I'm not a Windoze fan, my employer makes me use
> > it, I just like to have that particular feature available).
>
> </snip>
>
> Depending on your setting in /etc/inittab the "Windows-salute"
> should initiate a clean shutdown or reboot. But, honestly, this is
> hardly ever needed in linux.

I haven't touched my inittab, just whatever 10.0 CE has by default. I see
these lines in there:

# Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

Looks like what you're talking about. But I tried it before (out of habit),
and it did nothing. Just tried it again, and all it did was log me out.

> In case of a "hanging" application (in KDE) you
> can hit <Ctrl + Alt + Esc> then move your cursor (now a skull) to
> the offending application and left-click. That's a kill.

Sweet.

> In case of a "hanging" GUI (X-server), you can hit <Ctrl + Alt +
> Backspace>. This kills X and gets you to a new login.
>
> In case of nothing (exept the keyboard) working, and right before
> you consider a hard reset, you have to play a little piano-sonata :
>
> <Alt> + <SysRq> + r + s + e + i + u + b
>
> (Mnemotech : Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring)
>
> This sequence performs a clean reboot, including sync.

Interesting. I thought I saw the <alt>+<sysrq> somewhere. It didn't do
anything for me. I didn't know the rest of the incantation.

> HTH
> Kaj Haulrich.

Problem is I won't remember these the rare times I need them (I'm kind of like
Dory in Finding Nemo). I could just hold down <ctrl> and <alt> and hammer
randomly on the keyboard :^). I suppose I should write it down.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

--
Ron Hunter-Duvar

ronhd at users dot sourceforge dot net