PM wrote:

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 17:36, Marco Terzuoli wrote:

Hi,
I am due to buy a laptop computer, but I know that linux mandrake (and
probably other distros as well) have problems working on certain laptops.
Do you have any suggestion about which model I should buy?
Thanks,
Marco

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150, its cheap, fast, has an inbuilt 64MB Geforce FX5200, a 1600x1200 display, a 60gig hard disk and a DVD burner..

Runs mandrake perfectly.

I even got the wireless 802.11g truemobile 1300 wireless card working flawlessly with ndiswrapper..

With the exception that I would really love a ATI 9700 in it, I am very happy which this machine.
Dell now has an Inspiron 9100 that is selling for the same price I paid for my 5150, its better in nearly every way. (except size.)

-- rgds

Frank Hauptle (aka Franki)

For free scripts, online webmaster tools, HTML, XHTML, Perl & PHP tutorials and stuff, visit:
http://htmlfixit.com Free web developer resources.

Please sign our petition to encourage notebook manufacturers to offer video card upgrades just like desktops.
http://www.petitiononline.com/inspiron/petition.html