At 09:56 AM 5/11/04, Anders Lind wrote:

On Tue, 11 May 2004 09:51:18 -0400
Frank Bax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have three Linux machines on the same network with a bunch of windows
> machines. The ip address of the server hosting corporate email changed
> last week, but the old ip address was only "unplugged" yesterday. Two of
> the linux machines are unable to download email and "ping" attempts to
> connect to the old ip address. reboot didn't help. Third linux machine
> and windows machines are working fine. Looks like a dns issue. What tools
> do I use to determine which nameserver Linux is using, what ip address that
> name server is providing for the server we are trying to reach?
>
> Frank

Open /etc/resolv.conf as root with your favorite editor and you can also have a look in /etc/hosts so everything is the same on all three boxes

/etc/resolv.conf was different - change them all to match what our router has and all is well!

But more questions. We have a router with dsl modem here. I use dhcp for windows clients. I gave each linux machine a static ip so I can do remote admin. Is there a way to get the ip address of nameservers from the router, like what would happen with dhcp, but still have static addresses for the linux machines?

Frank