Frank Bax wrote:
At 11:04 AM 5/11/04, Frank Bax wrote:

At 09:56 AM 5/11/04, Anders Lind wrote:

On Tue, 11 May 2004 09:51:18 -0400
Frank Bax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have three Linux machines on the same network with a bunch of windows
> machines. The ip address of the server hosting corporate email changed
> last week, but the old ip address was only "unplugged" yesterday. Two of
> the linux machines are unable to download email and "ping" attempts to
> connect to the old ip address. reboot didn't help. Third linux machine
> and windows machines are working fine. Looks like a dns issue. What tools
> do I use to determine which nameserver Linux is using, what ip address that
> name server is providing for the server we are trying to reach?
>
> Frank

Open /etc/resolv.conf as root with your favorite editor and you can also have a look in /etc/hosts so everything is the same on all three boxes

/etc/resolv.conf was different - change them all to match what our router has and all is well!

But more questions. We have a router with dsl modem here. I use dhcp for windows clients. I gave each linux machine a static ip so I can do remote admin. Is there a way to get the ip address of nameservers from the router, like what would happen with dhcp, but still have static addresses for the linux machines?

Does no-one have a solution to this nameserver problem? My Linux machines went down again today - apparently my ISP (sympatico/bell) changed name servers and the ip addresses that worked yesterday don't work today!

Frank

Frank; You should check whether or not you can ping all the systems on your network first. ANY DNS server should work fine for the workstations if the router is managing your Internet connection to Bell.

Assuming that your router is using an internal pppoe system to connect, it's the only one that needs Bell's DNS servers. Your PC's can use any other DNS servers that you can find.

Try a Tier-1 ISP like MCI or Rogers, Shaw, or Videotron. You can get their DNS IP's by doing a "Whois" search on the Internet. If that doesn't get you the info you need, try "www.dnstuff.net". They'll have the info for sure.

Have a look at the results I got for Sympatico.ca.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=sympatico.ca&type=A

Use the new DNS addresses for your workstations only - not for the router! Let the router get it's DNS from Sympatico, so that if they ever change again, the router will acquire the new ones automatically.

Also, consider using one of the PC's as a DHCP server. This will allow you to assign IP addresses to all 3 PC's by associating their MAC addresses to a specific IP address. That way, whether you're in Windows or Linux, each machine will always receive the exact same IP each time.

make sure you turn off the DHCP server which is running on your router, but leave the DHCP client on the router alone!

HTH

Lanman