JoeHill wrote:
On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:40:15 -0400
Marv Boyes disseminated the following:

Hello again, everyone.

I've recently started using gdesklets (v0.26.1), but have so far only
been able to get the SysInfo desklet to work. Whenever I install and try
to run a new desklet, I get two errors (examples from the Calendar desklet):

-----
Could not load sensor 'Calendar'

An error occurred while loading a sensor. This most likely means that
the sensor is broken or simply not installed.

Invalid display file
'/usr/share/gdesklets/Displays/calendar-0.2.5.2/Calendar.display'

The display file contains invalid data and could not be loaded.

If you read the docs in the archive for any given display, it explains this.

Yes, I read that; I also read this:

"Again in theory this is simple. First you get some desklet, for example a clock desklet. Then you untar its package and run ./Install.bin-script.

$ wget "http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/files.php?func=gd_downloadfile&gd_filename=clock-desklet-0.32.tar.bz2gd_fileid=83";
$ bzip2 -cd clock-desklet-0.32.tar.bz2|tar -xf -
$ cd clock-desklet-0.32
$ ./Install_Clock_Sensor.bin

After ./Install_Clock_Sensor.bin you might get a message "The sensor has been installed successfully. gDesklets is now able to use it."."

I read it, followed it, got the 'go-ahead' message from gdesklets-- and still they don't work. Though it may not seem like it from some of my posts, I _do_ generally try to exhaust all the documentation I can find before I post here. ;)

Thanks for the urpmi tip, though I tend to shy away from online updates/installs-- my dialup connection is unreliable and awful beyond description.

Marv ---------- Help in the research to fight devastating diseases like Huntington's, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's-- donate your computer's leisure time to [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/ ----------