On Mon, 10 May 2004 22:32:45 -0400
Marv Boyes disseminated the following:

> > If you read the docs in the archive for any given display, it explains this.
>
> Yes, I read that; I also read this:
>
> "Again in theory this is simple. First you get some desklet, for example
> a clock desklet. Then you untar its package and run ./Install.bin-script.
>
> $ wget
> "http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/files.php?func=gd_downloadfile&gd_filename
> =clock-desklet-0.32.tar.bz2gd_fileid=83"
> $ bzip2 -cd clock-desklet-0.32.tar.bz2|tar -xf -
> $ cd clock-desklet-0.32
> $ ./Install_Clock_Sensor.bin
>
> After ./Install_Clock_Sensor.bin you might get a message "The sensor has
> been installed successfully. gDesklets is now able to use it."."
>
> I read it, followed it, got the 'go-ahead' message from gdesklets-- and
> still they don't work. Though it may not seem like it from some of my
> posts, I _do_ generally try to exhaust all the documentation I can find
> before I post here. ;)

Sorry, shouldn't have assumed :-\

So it  is the clock you are trying to get going. Well, this probably isn't the
'proper' way, but it's the way I first got it working, cuz I don't use Gnome
either:

In a terminal do 'gdes [tab]' and you should see a command
'gdesklets-add-starterbar-display'. Run that, and you will get a (kinda cool)
animated starter bar on your desktop. Click on the house to open Nautilus, and
navigate to where you have the clock archive. Click on the display and see if it
will start. If it does, it should start whenever you fire up your desktop if you
have some way of running 'gdesklet' at startup with XFCE.

> Thanks for the urpmi tip, though I tend to shy away from online
> updates/installs-- my dialup connection is unreliable and awful beyond
> description.

I sympathize, but believe me 'urpmi gdesklets-clock' will take a few minutes and
save you hours of headaches. I mean, unless you are on 28K or something (ouch).
It can't take much longer than downloading the tarballs.

--
JoeHill RLU #282046 /  www.orderinchaos.org
Kernel 2.4.22-21.tmb.1mdk Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586