Raffaele BELARDI wrote:

rhein wrote:

1. To get the name of the tracks do you have to be connected? I tried

Yes, names are not stored on cd-audio format. When you insert an audio cd, the player (i.e. grip) calculates a 'hash' value based on the index of the cd and uses it as a keyword to retrieve the titles from e.g. freedb.freedb.org. If it manages to get them, it stores them on your local disk (typically under $HOME/.cddb) , so next time you play the cd you don't need to be connected to get the titles.

  2. If I want to play the mp3 files on a music box or a TV/DVD player
     what riper and format shall I use?

I use xmms for mp3/wav, grip to play/rip/encode audio cd.

  3. What is the differences in the encoder: oggenc, mp3encoder,
     bladeenc, lame, l3enc, xingmp3enc, gogo, flac?

You already got some answers to this. Let me add that lame is not included in the MDK cds for license issues (lame uses an encoding algo which is patented by Fraunhofer Institute). Whenever I need to install it, I download the sources from the official lame site (http://lame.sourceforge.net/) and build them.

bye,

raffaele

Thanks for all your answers now I know how to use grip :-)
Bye
Christophe