On Tue, 04 May 2004 13:35:39 +0100
John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> RickS wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 03 May 2004 13:42:17 +0100
> >John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >>MD10 CE, USB HUB and Nvida N2 and MCC settings
> >>================================
> >>MCC - Hardware - Hardware - USB controllers -
> >>shows 6 entries :-
> >>
> >>nForce2 USB 1.0 )HCI Controller
> >>nForce2 USB 1.0 )HCI Controller
> >>nForce2 USB2.0 Enhanced Controller
> >>nVidia Corporation bForce2 USB 2.0 EHCI Controller
> >>USB OHCI Root Hub
> >>USB OHCI Root Hub
> >>
> >>I don't know why two entries appear twice but at any rate all
> >
> >>aspects of the USB hub and the related NVIDIA nForce > MCP2
> >>Southbridge USB controller chip seem to show up clearly.
> >>

> >John,
> >I have an nForce2 MB also with the same USB controllers. And there
> >are 2 usb ports on rear panel for v1.0 and 2 on the front panel
> >for either usb v1 and v2 respectively.
> >
> I have 4 USB ports to rear and 2 USB ports plus the bios LED's to
> header panel(which I actually have in the back, no matter) but
> since I haven't got them set up and working yet I cannot say which
> are USB1or2, though I'm kind of hoping they are all either USB1 or
> USB2 according to the equipement that gets plugged in.

I think your right.

> >>The first three entires have a tab called "Configure Module"
> >where>you are invited to make some entries in the fields provided.
> >The >>field begins, log2_irq_thresh.................
> >>
> >>And it says you can configure each parameter of the module here
> >>
> >>Since my MD10 CE USB hub does not work properly, I thought there
> >>
> >>John
> >>

> >I started with mdk 10 official and had some problems with acpi for
> >the 2.6.3-7 kernel. lilo.conf was set to acpi=ht & was giving me
> >irq's that were shared, so I had no sound and no networking eth0.
> >
> >what kernel are you running ?
> >

> I did the standard MD10.0 CE install which supplies both,
> vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk
> with,
> append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda15 splash=silent"
> and,
> vmlinuz-2.6.3-4mdk
> with,
> append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda15 splash=silent"
>
> You think I should change,   acpi=ht to apic=off ?
> I can boot either.

> >can you type $cat /proc/interrupts
> >

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# cat /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0
>   0:     233653          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:       1687          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   4:      86597          XT-PIC  serial
>   5:      24392          XT-PIC  usb-ohci, NVidia nForce2
>   6:        994          XT-PIC  floppy
>   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>  10:          0          XT-PIC  usb-ohci
>  11:     232076          XT-PIC  ehci_hcd, eth0
>  12:     160765          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
>  14:      13022          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:      36228          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
> LOC:     233617
> ERR:         64
> MIS:          0
>
> To which I deduct 5 and 10  pertain.
> Cannot see a conflict there.
> But no usb-uhci ???
> Which I assume to be the USB2 if I had it working .
It looks as though your not using local apic which is included in the
the 2.6.3-7 kernel. you can check
/usr/src/linux-2.6.3-7..../arch/i386/defconfig* to find out what was
confgured in any kernel and
/usr/src/linux-2.6.3-7..../Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt to
read what lilo append will accept, if ya didn't already know.

but.. my box is using lapic with the tmb kernel. And the 2.6.3-7
would work with lapic but wouldnt come from suspend.
Mark Annandale posted that he put 'noapic lapic' in lilo and IIRC
this was posted before as a fix, and he seems to be working now.
You could try that and see if this fixes anything ..

I didn't try the 2.4.25 kernel but I could boot the 2.6.3-7 kernel
and sound worked but no eth0 and was having DMA issues.

I did have a share with usb-ohci and eth0 on irq 12 which seemed to
be the problem. my interrupts are like this now.

[-bash 05:27 PM] [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/bin]$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:   84119619  local-APIC-edge  timer
  1:      16684    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
  6:        141    IO-APIC-edge  floppy
  8:          1    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
  9:          0   IO-APIC-level  acpi
 12:    1277024    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
 14:     261038    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
 15:      13866    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
 16:      55591   IO-APIC-level  eth0
 18:       3151   IO-APIC-level  EMU10K1
 19:    6457088   IO-APIC-level  nvidia
 20:          0   IO-APIC-level  ohci_hcd
 21:          0   IO-APIC-level  ehci_hcd
 22:     340421   IO-APIC-level  ohci_hcd
NMI:          0
LOC:   84116097
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

> Funny enough , once I sorted the sound driver out it is working >>
> nice. Except I have no aRts for some reason and therefore the >>
> >sound card(chip)
> is not set up to be shared. I don't know what happened to aRts , >>
> >why that should not of been installed.That is another problem to >
> >>be sorted out.

My Audigy sound card will work when I run alsaconf but not at boot
time, so I have to figure out whats wrong with the module or driver ?
no time for it at the moment 8(

> Never had any problem with internet connection, except for kppp >>
> being a bit flakey though it does work.
>
> >So I installed Thomas's tmb kernel
> >
> Wow, I had a job finding that kernel, but it is 19MB , and just too
> much for my web brouser's limited download resume capacity
oh, sorry John, I have broadband and its pretty cheap hear in
Detroit.

I'll check the cooker mailing list for any thing that may help, but I
know a few others are still having problems with some USB issues, not
sure what tho'

> P.S. What's with this "resume=/dev/hda15"  business ?
> Anyone know ?
>

> John
>
> --
> John Richard Smith
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Well, I will keep looking for some answers John.
Whats your motherboard model and processor ?

RickS
--------
Mandrake Linux release 10.0 (Official) for i586
Linux 2.6.5-1.tmb.5mdk-i686-up-4GB i686
gpg --recv-keys --keyserver www.keyserver.net 0x24AABE61
The longer the title, the less important the job -- Murphy's Laws on
Work n°30