On Monday 17 May 2004 03:08, David A. Ferguson wrote:
> > > Thanks to several tips I found my problem.  Turning off 'Network
> > > Hotplugging' in MCC networking fixed it.  One poster mentioned you
> > > could get the same effect by setting MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no in
> > >
> > >     /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.
> >
> > I have a similar message in /var/log/messages.  But, what is "Network
> > Hotplugging" and where is it located?  I can't find any reference to this
>
> in
>
> > MCC (I'm on 9.2, remember).
>
> I have installed Linux for the first time and Mdk10 official is the only
> version I have ever seen.  So, I have never seen any other version.
>
> For 10 you pick Configure Computer/Network & Internet/Manage connections.
>
> At this point a dialog about eth0 is displayed.  You can change the IP
> address, DHCP, etc.  There is a tab 'Options' and it has a check box
> labeled 'Network Hotplugging'.  I had to uncheck it to fix my problem.
>
> Another use told me you can get the same effect by editing
>
>     /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>
> and adding/modifing these line
>
>     ONBOOT=yes
>     MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes
>
> I have no idea what those lines mean or if they work.
>
> HTH...David

One of the nice things about Linux is that all configuration is by clear text
files. No messing about with arcane registry entries is required.
When you set that box in the GUI to disable  'Network Hotplugging' what the
GUI does is write "MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes" into the configuration file for
that interface. You can learn an awful lot about Linux by exploring the
configuration files in the /etc folder, but of course for a newbie it is
awfully conforting to be able to use a GUI to configure your system.

Network Hotplugging is a daemon which looks for Ethernet "heartbeats". Most
Ethernet cards are able to detect electrical signals which indicate that
there is another ethernet device on the other end of the cable (MII).
If Network Hotplugging is enabled your system will automatically "up" an
interface when the heartbeat is detected, and will "down" it if the heartbeat
disappears. This is especially good for laptops because it means you can just
plug in the Ethernet cable, and within a few seconds you are connected to the
network.
The downside of hotplugging is that there are a few devices which will get
confused and end up in the wrong mode, and some devices do not support it at
all. Hence the ability to disable it.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net