On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 09:55 +0200, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
> Simple test: same movies that in 9.2 played fine and smooth in 10.0 skip
> LOTS of frames. I tried with mplayer, xine and totem, always the same
> result. Yes, it's an old mobo (AMD K6-2/550), but in 9.2 it did its job.

What video card do you have? If it's an nvidia card, you might need to
install the nvidia drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/

> So I successfully installed the 2.4.25 kernel provided on the 10.0 cd,
> but was unable to configure the ISA PNP audio card. The isapnp utility
> configures and enables the card without errors, but modprobe snd-azt2320
> exits with an error ("no azt2320 card found"). Card works fine in 9.2
> and 10.0 with 2.6 kernel.
>
> Next I will try installing the 9.2 version of mplayer into 10.0, just to
> rule out kernel issues. If it doesn't do the job, I'll have to go back
> to 9.2 :-(

Don't install the 9.2 version of mplayer on 10.0, there will be
dependency problems.

> Also, while burning a CD the system does not respond to any command.
> It's not frozen (icewm responds fine), but application it will not even
> start to load it until the cd burning is finished. And, accessing a CD
> in 10.0 eats up all CPU, while in 9.2 it was only using a small fraction
> - like if it was not using DMA, but DMA is enabled for all drives.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the default mandrake kernels not
include dma support? If they do, then I'm not sure what to do about the
cd accessing problem. As for the system not responding while burning
cd's - there is a way to lower the priority of the process, but I can't
remember what it is. Also, I know for a fact the default mandrake
kernels DO NOT compile preemptible support. If you know how to compile
kernels, may I suggest compiling a 2.6 kernel with preemptible support
and dma support both included?

> I remember somebody defining 10.0 "speed daemon" so I was quite
> negatively impressed by my results. Has anybody noticed such bad
> performance?

It is a speed "daemon" :). No but really, its fast.

HTH,
John

--
Tue May 18 16:47:58 CDT 2004
Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Cooker) for i586

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
                -- W.E. Hickson