Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:
I never used Mdk 9, but I can tell you I was impressed with the speed of 10.0, both CE and Official. I revived an ancient (~6 years old) NT machine, Pentium II 400MHz, graphics card so old it's no longer supported by the vendor. I was surprised how responsive it is on such an old machine - practically instantaneous. It gets sluggish only if there are heavy background processes running, but that's to be expected.

I'm not saying 10.0 is slow, I'm just saying it is slower than 9.2. I believe the 2.6 kernel has been optimized for server environment, not desktop.

Have you tried running top to see if there's something else chewing up your cpu? I've had some runaway kde processes a couple of times (most notably konqueror on certain web sites). 3D programs also kill my performance, because I only have s/w rendering.

I use IceWM, it's much lighter than KDE or Gnome. No, nothing is eating up CPU, it's just slower.

raffaele