On Wed, 19 May 2004 19:58:42 -0700, David E. Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:52:23 -0500
"David A. Ferguson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I will look in syslog the next time it happens.
I ran a surface scan of the disk and it said ok. I don't know how
to test the RAM but I haven't had any other problems at all so I
would bet the RAM is fine.

Well, it pays to be prudent, so first install the memtest RPM, it will
create a boot entry for it, so you can shutdown/reboot and let the test
run for as long as you wish, typically overnight. It's not the most
robust memory tester, but it is pretty good.

Sorry I didn't catch the original post, but here's another idea to look into.

Do you have *any* ROM Shadowing turned on in your BIOS? If so, turn it off. Mandrake expects to have access and control of all memory. I was getting inconsistent problems during the install of Mandrake, and then file corruption problems after the install when I had Video ROM shadowing enabled in the BIOS.

HTH
The Other