I've installed 10.0 RC1 AMD64 on my eMachines laptop.   Most things are
working well.  However, I can't figure out how to get sound out of the
CD player (gnome.)  Linux is using the ALSA sound system.  If I run the
Totem media player, I do hear sound, and external speakers hooked up to
the headphone jack work fine also. I also hear system sounds fine.  But
neither CD Player nor xmms (with alsa plug-in selected or output)
produce any sound (and yes, the CD is playing - I can see the light
flickering and the progress bars are moving in both players.)   Any
ideas how to get this to work?  Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier