Guy Rouillier wrote:

I've installed 10.0 RC1 AMD64 on my eMachines laptop.   Most things are
working well.  However, I can't figure out how to get sound out of the
CD player (gnome.)  Linux is using the ALSA sound system.  If I run the
Totem media player, I do hear sound, and external speakers hooked up to
the headphone jack work fine also. I also hear system sounds fine.  But
neither CD Player nor xmms (with alsa plug-in selected or output)
produce any sound (and yes, the CD is playing - I can see the light
flickering and the progress bars are moving in both players.)   Any
ideas how to get this to work?  Thanks.

I don't know if this is much help to you but I recently had a similar problem with my sound card(chip) and aRts ,and the mixers given me to set up the audio lines for all the system. I found kmix, the default install with kde,limited in the number of lines it can actually handle, I was tempted to install aumix as well, and did so once to no avail, then quite by chance I discovered a much more numerous lines mixer called alsamixer . Just type alsamixer into a terminal and begin fiddling with the many lines that are available. It's s keyboard app but has many more channels of audio stream. In my case I think maybe my problem was that I had extra streams of sterio audio from the 5.1 dolby sound chip capability , or it may just of been a problem with the aRts not handling the multi audio stream properly, anyway after some time fiddling with alsamixer together with kmix I managed to restore sound.I know this is not very scientific , and may not be your problem at all, but it's worth a try.

I suppose you have already been down the draksound route

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]