On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 19:33, Thomas Wilkowski wrote:

> > Thanks for the reply. That is some terrific
> information. Another person also hipped me to the
> 'tar' method of file transfer, although the flags he
> suggested were different. Thus, I believe I'll give
> 'tar' a shot first and if that fails onto Cpio.
> Really, thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll
> let you know how it turns out.
>
> tsw

Remember, if you go with the tar option, you need to do the
--one-file-system option with tar in order to keep you local to the
partition you are on; otherwise, you cannot delineate between partitions
and stuff that would normally be on the /usr filesystem/partition (for
example) could end up being in your root partition.

This all is a nonsequitur if you've done everything as a single
partition.  Then you can omit the --one-file-system option.

To make use of tar's ability to select filesystems individually, all you
have to do is to start out at the spot where the filesystem is mounted.
For instance, on the usr partition, you just change to /usr and then use
tar with --one-file-system.

Or with var on it's own partition, you would switch to /var and then
execute the tar command.  After that anything that's tarred over to the
new partition won't be including stuff mounted *within* /var.  And so
on.

HTH

LX

P.S.  I still recommend the find-cpio combo. ;)