put any modules you want to be automatically loaded
upon boot in /etc/modules:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] samba]# cat /etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.

floppy
#snd
snd-slot-0
snd-pcm-oss