> On Thursday 27 May 2004 20:14, Robert Walker wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I was trying to increase the security of my Linux box (famous last
>> words). I am running Mandrake 9.2 set for console login (run level 3).
>>
>> I was reading an article about stopping root logins for
>> Red Hat Linux (v8.0)... Decided to follow the suggestions. This turned
>> out to be a really bad move :-)
>>
>> Anyhow I am now in the situation where I have ended up with:
>> /etc/securetty                  which is blank (dumb)
>> /etc/ssh/sshd_config            which disallows root logins (good)
>>
>> I have KDE, X and tightvnc installed but I am not currently using them.
>>
>> I can't 'su' root to execute a command/change to root or login as root
>> either with a remote secure shell or a local shell!! I just get the
>> message:
>> "This account is currently not available."
>> So I can't even copy the old securetty~ file back...
>>
>> Do I need to reinstall everything again (would not be fun given the amount
>> of hassle I had setting it all up - especially the driver for the PCI
>> ADSL modem and kernel customisations) and start from scratch??
>> Is there any other way of getting root access apart from <login> and
>> <su>??
>>
>> Is there anyway to boot from a CD to get root access back?? Or some
>> other solution (possibly mounting the hard disk on another box with
>> Linux installed)??

> I am not sure how to get your system back to how it should be, but for future
> reference if you want to disable root login, instead of following a RedHat
> Guide just Open Mandrake Control Centre>Security>Levels and Checks

> Selecting High (or is it Higher) security level will disable root login. Or
> alternatively regardless of your security level you can customise your
> existing level by selecting the 'System options' tab.

> The 'Direct Root Login' option will enable/disable root login for you.

> Hope you manage to recover the system without a reinstall.  You might be able
> to set a new root password if you go into run level 1. Try booting into
> 'failsafe' from your lilo menu.

> derek

Hi Derek,

Cheers for the quick response. No I'm buggered... Run level 1/failsafe
gives all the same problems. The root account is disabled because it
can not be accessed/logged into from any tty device.

Can I mount the physical hard disk on a different Linux box and change
the securetty file? How would I do this? Would it just show up in the
mounts if I plug it into an IDE port or do I need to do else to mount
it (e.g. alter fstab on the other machine)? I.e. hate Slackware
because its harder to find the relevant configuration files for stuff...

Its all a bit bizare because the machine is stable as an internet
gateway its not urgent (it still works without root access). But I did
want to setup a place holding webserver on it today (hah hah thats not going happen
now :-).

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]