> Robert Walker wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I was trying to increase the security of my Linux box (famous last
>> words). I am running Mandrake 9.2 set for console login (run level 3).
>>
>> I was reading an article about stopping root logins for
>> Red Hat Linux (v8.0)... Decided to follow the suggestions. This turned
>> out to be a really bad move :-)
>>
>> Anyhow I am now in the situation where I have ended up with:
>> /etc/securetty                  which is blank (dumb)
>> /etc/ssh/sshd_config            which disallows root logins (good)
>>
>> I have KDE, X and tightvnc installed but I am not currently using them.
>>
>> I can't 'su' root to execute a command/change to root or login as root either with
>> a remote
>> secure shell or a local shell!! I just get the message:
>> "This account is currently not available."
>> So I can't even copy the old securetty~ file back...
>>
>> Do I need to reinstall everything again (would not be fun given the amount
>> of hassle I had setting it all up - especially the driver for the PCI
>> ADSL modem and kernel customisations) and start from scratch??
>> Is there any other way of getting root access apart from <login> and
>> <su>??
>>
>> Is there anyway to boot from a CD to get root access back?? Or some
>> other solution (possibly mounting the hard disk on another box with
>> Linux installed)??
>>

> I usualy keep on of the floppy or CD mini-distributions around for
> things like this.  The other option is to boot by feeding the kernel the
> option "init=/bin/bash".  (append="init=/bin/bash")  This will boot you
> directly to the bash shell, bypassing most of the security of the
> system.  You will want to reboot after fixing things.

> Mikkel

Hi Mikkel and Derek,

Duh I am so stupid!!

Of course should of though of Knoppix!! I was all set to physically
take the hard disk out and mount it on another machine... :-) Found my
downloaded copy lying 'round didn't work (I hadn't got around to
trying it out yet) but thats not a problem with 2mbit D/L ADSL :-)

All I had to do was log in as root in Knoppix. Mounted the IDE harddisk as R/W.
Changed back the /etc/passwd and /etc/securetty files (I had messed
up) to allow access to the root account. Rebooted into MDK 9.2...
Sorted!! Root access is working again.

Cheers guys. Really appreciate it!!

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]