I installed two nics in my mandrake 6.0 sometime back. I just stuck the second
one in and fired up the machine, and it was recognized right off the bat. I
haven't had to do anything other than 'turn it on' in netconf.
One is a linksys and one is 3com, both are pci. There was no 'forceing'
involved, it just worked.
Maybe I got lucky?    :-)
Chip