> Teilhard Knight wrote:
>
> >  Can you think any reason why Mandrake 10.0 Community, and also the
> >  Official, report that there is a sector of 80 Gb, and another sector
> >  of 891 !! Gb overlapping?
> >
> >  When I installed the Official for a second time, I got a worse thing
> >  saying that the partition table was too messy for Mandrake. I trusted
> >  the offer to fix the problem and I went to the dogs with 4 OSs
> >  installed in my 120 Gb disk. It even disappeared from the BIOS. I do
> >  not want to tire you with what I did to fix this.
> >
> >  I have checked now possible problems in the partition table with
> >  different tools, and there are none.
> >
> >  I am now trying to install and at the end LILO fails to install
> >  everywhere, so I cannot boot.
> >
> >  What on earth is going on?
> >
> >  Teilhard
> >
> Did you have to install anything like disk manager in order to use the
> entire drive?  These programs normally load a BIOS extension in the
> master boot record.  Depending on where you tell LILO to install itself,
> it can overwrite this, and make a mess of things.

No, I don't have any disk managers installed. Actually, the disk is 160 Gb and
not 120Gb (in another machine), but I have a modern motherboard (ASUS A7V333)
which does recognize the full length of the drive. But as I pointed out in my
post, I have been double checking in many ways the partition table and it is
free of problems.

> You can also run into problems if the drive was original set up in one
> mode, and you changed it to another one.  Switching between LBA, Large,
> and Normal  can do some interesting things.  Normally the system just
> doesn't boot, but some OSs "remember" what the disk was set up for when
> they were installed, and ignore the change...  There are probably other
> causes, but this is all that comes to mind right now...
>
> Mikkel

Well, the problem is not precisely that the system doesn't boot after
installing. The problem is that LILO doesn't get installed at the end. What the
heck, I have seen weirder things. Thanks for your feedback.

Teilhard.

This mail sent through CWMail: http://www.crosswinds.net