So does this mean that you can boot by some means?

If so, then as 'su' issue

# /sbin/lilo

and take not of any errors. Let us know.

PS. Did you try "testdisk" .

Regards

Frank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213

Teilhard Knight wrote:

Teilhard Knight wrote:

Can you think any reason why Mandrake 10.0 Community, and also the
Official, report that there is a sector of 80 Gb, and another sector
of 891 !! Gb overlapping?

When I installed the Official for a second time, I got a worse thing
saying that the partition table was too messy for Mandrake. I trusted
the offer to fix the problem and I went to the dogs with 4 OSs
installed in my 120 Gb disk. It even disappeared from the BIOS. I do
not want to tire you with what I did to fix this.

I have checked now possible problems in the partition table with
different tools, and there are none.

I am now trying to install and at the end LILO fails to install
everywhere, so I cannot boot.

What on earth is going on?

Teilhard

Did you have to install anything like disk manager in order to use the
entire drive? These programs normally load a BIOS extension in the
master boot record. Depending on where you tell LILO to install itself,
it can overwrite this, and make a mess of things.

No, I don't have any disk managers installed. Actually, the disk is 160 Gb and not 120Gb (in another machine), but I have a modern motherboard (ASUS A7V333) which does recognize the full length of the drive. But as I pointed out in my post, I have been double checking in many ways the partition table and it is free of problems.

You can also run into problems if the drive was original set up in one
mode, and you changed it to another one.  Switching between LBA, Large,
and Normal  can do some interesting things.  Normally the system just
doesn't boot, but some OSs "remember" what the disk was set up for when
they were installed, and ignore the change...  There are probably other
causes, but this is all that comes to mind right now...

Mikkel

Well, the problem is not precisely that the system doesn't boot after installing. The problem is that LILO doesn't get installed at the end. What the heck, I have seen weirder things. Thanks for your feedback.

Teilhard.

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through CWMail: http://www.crosswinds.net