John Drouhard wrote:
I got a new hard drive today. (yay!) It is 160 GB Maxtor and I don't know how to chop it up.....

Currently I have a 40 GB:
/dev/hda1    275 MB        /boot
/dev/hda5    6.44 GB        /
/dev/hda6    8.64 GB        /usr
/dev/hda7    400 MB        swap
/dev/hda8    11.06 GB    /home
/dev/hda9    10.49 GB    /misc (partition for storing downloads,
                    backups, and other random stuff)

I would like to keep the same general partitioning scheme, but I don't know whether I should have it in so many pieces. If I just have a /boot, /, and a /misc, then everything can share in one large partition and I wouldn't have to worry about being low on space for one and tons of space on another. (my /home is tight on space, but my /usr has about 5 GB free)

Sorry if this is confusing, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them...

With 160GB, it doesn't really matter how you chop it up, you'll still have loads of room. I'd put a bit more into /usr just in case you want to install some new application larger than anything yet known, and divide the rest between /home and /misc. You might want to have another partition for /etc (I'm told this means you can do an install without scratching your existing settings, but I've never tried it).

Sir Robin

--
"Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so."
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Universitesi