Graham Watkins wrote:
Thought I'd see what all the fuss is about with xfce4. Trouble is some things don't seem to work. Don't have any menus any more - is this right?

Not sure about the other configuration troubles you mention, Graham, but one solution to the menu problem would be to run gnome-panel. I did it for several weeks under Xfce4 (until I decided that I really didn't need it anymore), and it worked like a charm. Since both GNOME and Xfce use gtk, the underlying architecture you need to run gnome-panel is already in place and running; I found that gnome-panel works a lot better under Xfce than KDE's Kicker does, having to load all of the KDE/Qt stuff.

Which reminds me of your terminal troubles: personally, I prefer running gnome-terminal under Xfce4, for the same reason I try to avoid KDE apps when there are good GNOME/gtk equivalents available-- the gtk apps seem to be a lot more responsive and (especially) stable under Xfce. Naturally, YMMV. Aterm is another nice (and fast!) alternative, though I stick with gnome-terminal when I need to cut 'n paste stuff.

Another benefit of running gnome-panel under Xfce is that you get a fully-functional taskbar; Xfce's own taskbar leaves (IMHO) a bit to be desired, and it took me awhile to get used to the Xfce4 iconbox (which I now use without breaking a sweat. ;) ).

If gnome-panel brings more overhead than you want, there's also the MenuMaker script package (http://menumaker.sourceforge.net)-- it produced a servicable right-click menu on my machine, though it missed some programs and categorized others in ways that I personally found odd. It'll do in a pinch, and is probably a lot more configurable than I've given it credit for. After all, anything written in Python can't be all bad. ;)

Hope this helps,
Marv

Help in the research to fight devastating diseases like
Huntington's, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's-- donate your computer's
leisure time to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/