Mark Rogers wrote:
Hi Team

Im just getting to know Linux and Mandrake and need to know how
Linux/Mandrake handles the following situation:-

1) Lets say I install Mandrake on one PC, and setup web servers
(Apache), services etc.

2) Then I move that hard disk to another machine - but this second
machine has different m/board, video, network etc. (Im proposing to
do it this way to minimise down time on the PC Im moving the hard
disk to)

Questions: What are the likelyhoods of Mandrake booting to a command
line? Booting to a GUI?

If it can only boot to a command line/gui what can I do to get it to
recognise the new hardware?

Would a full reinstall over the top recognise the new hardware and
yet leave application setups (like Apache) configured?

What whould you suggest is the best way to handle this problem?  (And
if simply installing on the second PC is the easiest then please tell
me that too)  :-)

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers

Cheers

Mark :-)

Mark,
Unless the BIOS handles the hard drive differently, you should have no problems booting to the command line. Booting to the GUI will probably work as well. Harddrake should detect the hardware differences on bootup, and offer to reconfigure things.
I am not sure about Mandrake, but with RedHat you would also run into a problem if you downgraded the CPU. If you installed on a P-III, and then moved the drive to a P-I, you would have the wrong Kernel, and glibc for the CPU. Upgrading is not normaly a problem.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!