** Reply to message from "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Sun, 04 Jul 2004
08:18:56 -0500

> Mark Rogers wrote:
> > Hi Team

Hi Mikkel

> > Im new to Linux and Mandrake and was wondering what you would
> > reccomend for a DNS service (BIND for example), just to host 3
> > domains we have (and just the main internet accessable systems - i.e.
> > 3 IPs/Names). Prefer to have a GUI if possible, if not a url to a
> > good reference point
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Mark :-)
> >
> Mark,
>    Are you looking for a name server to provide domain name service for
> your local network, or one that will provide name service for your
> domain on the Internet?  From the way your question is worded, I want to
> be sure we are talking about the same thing.  What you need for a home
> network with 3 hosts is vastly different then what you need if you are
> running a hosting service and have 3 different domains to worry about.

I should have been clearer, a DNS to provide naming services for internet based
computers looking up our domain names, not for internal network.

>    You say you are new to Linux.  Are you new to networking as well, or
> just to networking on Linux?  I want to be sure we are we mean the same
> thing when we talk about domains, and host names.

Not new to networking, just networking on linux. At the moment Im looking for
something to get me up and running quickly, so I can later study what script/conf
files where altered and where. (Im sully aware that any front end GUI's change up to
several configuration/text files to allow linux to do its stuff :-)  Just looking for
pointers so Im not wasting time simply looking ;-)

> Mikkel
> --
>
>    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
> Join the Club : http://www.mandrakeclub.com

Yours Sincerely

Mark A Rogers