HB> Ok I don't pretend to understand but mine are different can you explain
HB> the relevance:
HB> [EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$ nmap localhost -p 0-65535
HB> WARNING:  Scanning "port 0" is supported, but unusual.

HB> Starting nmap 3.50 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-07-17 08:26
HB> CDT
HB> Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
HB> (The 65528 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
HB> PORT      STATE SERVICE
HB> 25/tcp    open  smtp
HB> 111/tcp   open  rpcbind
HB> 631/tcp   open  ipp
HB> 783/tcp   open  hp-alarm-mgr
HB> 921/tcp   open  unknown
HB> 6000/tcp  open  X11
HB> 10026/tcp open  unknown
HB> 32768/tcp open  unknown

Hi Hoyt,

nmap is a tool that scans open ports on your (or someone else's computer). As a quick
refresher, these tcp ports are how other people access your computer's services (and
how you access other's. For example, when you open a web browser to www.cisco.com, the
browser is connection to port 80 of www.cisco.com, which is the HTTP port.

I asked for this information to find out why exactly he couldn't get there. THis
information is useful to you too, however. For instance, you have port 25 open, which
means that you are probably running a mail server such as postfix or sendmail (postfix
is a default service in a default mandrake install). You also are running an X server
(which is your KDE desktop), you are running CUPS (a print server, as indicated by
port 631 (internet printing protocol) being open.

Justin Grote
Network Architect, CCNA
The Whistlepunk
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (remove nospam-)
SMS:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (remove nospam-)
Phone: (208) 631-5440