Marc Hultquist wrote:

What does Mandrake actually mean ? Was just thinking about it now and well while apache 2.x compiles I thought I would see what I could find out. Its unfortunately to slow for me to browse the net right now :\

Anyone care to shed some light on this ?

Webster's  says,

Mandrake \Man"drake\, n. [AS. mandragora, L. mandragoras, fr.
  Gr. ?: cf. F. mandragore.]
  1. (Bot.) A low plant (Mandragora officinarum) of the
     Nightshade family, having a fleshy root, often forked, and
     supposed to resemble a man. It was therefore supposed to
     have animal life, and to cry out when pulled up. All parts
     of the plant are strongly narcotic. It is found in the
     Mediterranean region.

           And shrieks like mandrakes, torn out of the earth,
           That living mortals, hearing them, run mad. --Shak.

  Note: The mandrake of Scripture was perhaps the same plant,
        but proof is wanting.

I believe it was used in english medieval times for medicinal purposes.
I expect it was an early ruling class version of coke.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]