> Lionel Barrow wrote:
>
>     Hi guys, I have what I hope is an easy question to answer. My
> first experience with Linux was an old Slackware distribution from
> 1995. I knew nothing of it then and paid little or no attention until
> early this year. That old distribution had a random message of the day
> that would come up when you logged in. It varied from jokes, to thinks
> to think about etc.... My question is if there is similar utility that
> I can download to give me similar functionality in Redhat 6.1. Thanks
> in advance guys:)

You should be able to download a program called fortune (actually it
should be on your distribution disk)  This is the program you are
looking for...what you could do is just run it from a .login file when
you login or .profile depending on your shell.
--
Brian K. Garel          ICQ #1598357

"Seize the time...Live now; make now always
the most precious time. Now will never come
again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)