Anyone out there ever written a script to send email messages?

I want to write a script that will send a message to a certain email address
when called. I thought I could just use the "mail" program, but it relies
on /usr/sbin/sendmail to actually send the message. I believe that means I
have to install and configure either sendmail or postfix. Sounds like a lot
of work for a simple script.

I don't want to run my own mail server (not at the moment). I rely on my isp
for sending and receiving email.

Is there a simple way to do this? Can I somehow tell kmail to do it for me? If
not, can someone point me to some good instructions for configuring postfix
to do what I need without interfering with email to/from my isp, and without
opening up security holes in my system (e.g. an open relay).

Thanks,

--
Ron Hunter-Duvar
ronhd at users dot sourceforge dot net

Opinions expressed here are all mine. Rights to use
these opinions are granted under the GNU GPL.