Angus Auld wrote:

I seem to be getting a very annoying, and scary, high pitched whining sound occasionally from my 3 week old Maxtor 40 GB 7200rpm drive.
Should I back everything up now?! :-/

My drive mounts in a vertical position. Could that cause a problem? I could find no warnings against vertical mounting in the docs that came with it.

The noise comes and goes, and just started doing so the past day or so. It has been working very well otherwise.

I just found my purchase receipt.....I may well need it.
Anyone able to give me a prognosis? ;-)

Regards.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness." -- James Thurber

~Reg. Linux User #278931~

It could be the way it is mounted try mounting it normaly. Also the accustics may be set to off this increases the drives performance but makes it louder. Maxtor drives I have found are verry reliable. My maxtor makes the occasonal ticking sound during high load mine is 3-4 years old. Have a look around on the net for SMART utills. Windows if you have that installed use hard drive health from www.panterasoft.com and that should give you more than enough info. Also maxtor has a boot CD to fix the disk etc. (also good to fix the drive after something corupts your partitions.)