On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 09:42, Marc wrote:
>   At one time someone here on the newbie list gave a link to a article that
> did a nice simple job of explaining why it is next to impossible for a
> succussfull linux virus to be created. I have been searching the archives and
> have been unable to find it again.
> Can anyone here point me to it?
>
>     Thanks
>     Marc

The simple fact of the matter is that a virus cannot run in a secure
environment; you have to have root privileges in order to do so; hence
an attack on a linux box is generally from outside, and not inside -
unless someone was successful at running a rootkit on the machine in
question.

stephen kuhn - proprietor
illawarra computer services :: a kuhn media australia venture
http://kma.0catch.com  :: mobile 0410.728.389
Serving Sydney, The Illawarra, South Coast and Rural NSW
  Mandrake GNU/Linux 10.0 OE/Kernel 2.6.3-7/ No Viruses here.

Stone circles were common enough everywhere in the mountains. Druids
built them as weather computers, and since it was always cheaper to
build a new 33-Megalith circle than to upgrade an old slow one, there
were generally plenty of ancient ones around (Lords and Ladies)