stephen,
i'd agree that a truly secure environment would prevent unknown programs from
running, but a virus doesn't necessarily need root privs.
if i can write a shell script that runs as a user, that can wipe my user
files, send mail with attachments, create a dotfile and a user cron job to
run it, then so can a virus writer,
all that is required is that i be tricked into downloading the file/saving the
attachment, making it executable and then running it, of course that involves
a lot of social engineering compared to simply relying on a broken email
client to do all that for you, but, let me say that again, but, in a world
where every one switches to linux from windows there will be an awful lot of
users on whom such social engineering will work.
you and i, and probably most everyone on this list at this moment in time are,
almost by definition, the kind of people who like to know more than just how
to click a mouse button, folk who like to learn about our machines, in doing
so we will inevitably pick up skills of net hygiene, if not by deliberate
learning then by a form of osmosis, surrounded by a culture of people who
truly 'know better'.
one day that previous paragraph may no longer be true.
that is why a lot of old hands in the linux/bsd/unix world will seem to be
anal about things like md5sums, pgp sigs on mails etc. not because they all
move in a harsh 'cracker eat hacker' world (though some do), but because they
can see the future, or at least one possible iteration of it, and getting
those habits down now, before they become necessary, can't hurt any :)

bascule

--
- "What're quantum mechanics?"
- "I don't know. People who repair quantums, I suppose."