Hoyt Bailey wrote:
On Friday 30 July 2004 17:24, Lanman wrote:

Hoyt Bailey wrote:

On Friday 30 July 2004 14:30, Charlie Mahan wrote:

On July 30, 2004 12:44:12, Lanman wrote:

To: Our Gang;

Is there a command that will provide me with a detailed package
list of all installed rpms? Since doing the install on my system,
I've added, updated and removed quite a few of them, and I'd like
to create a repository of the packages that are currently
installed.

That way, I can re-install them from a local source if I have to
recover from a cooker install of 10.1. I know that I have a
package list from my original install, but I'm looking for an
updated list.

Is it possible to extract the list from the RPM database? ideas?
suggestions?

TIA

Lanman

/var/log/rpmpkgs should show you what you want.

It's plain text so it may just be easier than all the grepping and
diffing. <GRIN>

Charlie

Perhaps you mean '/var/cache/urpmi/rpms'?

Hoyt; Thanks for the suggestion, but '/var/cache/urpmi/rpms' is where rpms are temporarily stored until urpmi is ready to install all rpms that have been selected by the user. Once all the rpms required are download to this folder, urpmi then installs from that location.

What I'm actually looking for is a detailed list of the rpms which
would be currently installed on a system, not every package or rpms
that was ever installed on a system.

Charlie suggested that I try /var/log/rpmpkgs , but that doesn't seem
to be accurate since I see rpms in that list that were recently
removed from the system.

I'm hoping that I can build a list of the exact rpms which are
currently installed and use it as a guide for creating an archive of
those exact rpms. Once those rpms are archived, I can then burn a CD
or DVD of those rpms and take them to friends and clients and do a
very fast update to any of them, assuming that they're already
running Mandrake 10.0.

"urpmi *rpm" would do the trick once the CD or DVD had been mounted,
and I could work on another system while that was going on. Since I
have rpms from Charles, PLF, Contribs, etc., I'd like to have the
current ones rapidly available for install on new systems as well.

Isn't there supposed to be an rpms database on my system? How does
urpmi keep track of what's installed? Hmmm, back to the drawing
board!

Lanman

The reason I made the suggestion was because I couldnt find rpmpkgs. I just looked again and found 2 of them. Sorry if I caused any difficulty.

No problems here Hoyt. I'm still on the trail of that file though. If you were to launch the software remover in MCC or KDE's Kpackage, you would see the list of currently-installed packages. That's the list that I'm after but I'm after the actual list.

MCC's rpm remover and Kpackage both access a database or two of installed packages, and generate the list that you see inside of themselves based on that database. I just can't find the database. Once I do, I can start harassing the list about how to extract the list from that database.

Fun, Huh?

Lanman