On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 11:34:36 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You might want to try adding a PATH=<whatever your path is> before the
> first command in the script.

Yep, I did that. I tried PATH=/home/ger/bin and when that didn't work
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/X11: etc, the whole bash environment
variable.

>  I am not sure how you added the path to
> the crontab entry, but it doesn't sound like your script is using it.

I created a file in my home dir called "crontab", and then did crontab
crontab. The new generated file appeared as /var/spool/cron/ger, and
crontab -l showed its contents properly.

> If it is using the default path, then it will not find any programs that
> are not in /bin or /usr/bin.  A couple of other things to be carefull of
>
> - some programs do not work well if you do not have an active ternimal.
> - when run by crontab, you have a very limmited set of varables set.

Just to see, I made another script to open a browser window. All it has is this:

#!/bin/bash
galeon

It's called /home/ger/bin/gal and works from the command line. But not
from cron. Those things you point out might be the reason... I'll use
a command that always works and check it. Any suggestions?

> If you would post your crontab entry, and your script, we may be able to
> give you more specific help.  (Any error mail from crontab also...)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ger]$ crontab -l
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
# (crontab installed on Wed Aug  4 18:50:32 2004)
# (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 2.13 1994/01/17 03:20:37 vixie Exp $)
SHELL=/bin/bash
MAILTO=ger
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11R6/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/jre-1.4.2_04/bin:/home/ger/bin

*/15 * * * * /home/ger/bin/gal

That's the current content. Tha actual script I'm trying to run is an
adaptation of Todd Slater's recently posted script to check a web page
for new content. The only differences being that wget reads my galeon
cookie file (it's a site that requires login) and that if there is any
change Galeon opens a tab in the background. As I said, from the
command line it works.

Incidentally, about the mail. I've been looking for it, but I didn't
want to ask different kinds of questions in the same email. The
directory /var/spool/mail/ is empty and there's no mail-related stuff
in my home dir. I've never yet read system mail so I don't know if
there's a deamon that should be running and isn't, or something.

Anyway, good pointers there, I'll try with other simple commands to
see what happens. Thanks a lot.

Germán.