On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:22:44 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bill Shirley wrote:
>
> >  Try putting in the script:
> >
> >  DISPLAY=:0.0
> >
> >  at the top after #!/bin/sh
> >
> >  HTH, Bill
> >
> This only works if you are running the X server.  If another user is
> running X, you will not be able to connect to the X server, unless you
> turn off security.  It also fails if you are not running an X server.
> Also, if you are running more then one X server, the DISPLAY setting may
> be different for "your" X server.

The thing is, the X server is running, but the owner is root. Should
that be so? I have the machine set to boot to run level 5, and then I
log in from there. If I booted to run level 3, logged in, and _then_
started X, would I own the server process? I wonder if it would work
if I made the cron entry in root's crontab, and put the script in
cron's path. I'll try that now, just to see, though I'm not too sure I
want root to run wget and galeon regularly. I don't know nuttin', but
it somehow seems like a risky practice to me.

On the other hand, this seems like a limitation that should have a
workaround without compromising security. If I can run the script
while I'm logged in to an x session, but not from cron, it means cron
is using a different session, all it's own. Isn't there a way to
instruct cron that a command must be run from the active session of
the user whose crontab it is? That sounds reasonable, no?

More to investigate. What fun!

Germán.