On Monday 09 August 2004 03:31 pm, Rob Toner wrote:
> Wondering if anyone has been able to run a single email client that can be
> used for both Windoze and Linux?    I'm looking to dual boot between Win 2K
> and Mandrake.   However, maintaining two seperate email clients is getting
> ugly.   My ISP doesn't support IMAP so thats out..

If you are going to keep your mail on a local drive, you are kind of in a
tight spot.  If you use a FAT32 partition for it, then essentially, your mail
is an open book to anyone with access to the computer cause unix file
permissions don't work on FAT32 and there is not anyway that I know of to
secure FAT32.  If you are going to use a Linux filesystem, then you won't
have access to it on the Windows side.

IMAP is the only way that I know of to keep your mail accessible to both
environments and that needs a server so unless you have a machine sitting
around that you can work into an independent mail server, I don't know how
you can arrange to share mail between dual boot machines.

The way I see it, the mail client you use is not really material.  It is the
location of the mail itself and the filesystem that is used.  Beyond that,
you can use any combination of mail clients that support the same mail
structure, either mbox or maildir.  Finding one, like Mozilla, say, that work
the same in both environments is the easy part.  Unless I am missing
something and making this more complicated than it actually is.

--
Bryan Phinney