On Thursday 12 August 2004 19:44, M.Schild wrote:
> > You mean the 'alternative' sound driver?
>
> Yes, not an improvement. Now, when I boot I get:
> Error while initializing the sound driver
> device /dev/dsp can´t be opened ( no such file or directory)

Better switch back then!

> >  The error "error getting freedb
> > entry" is about searching a database on the internet to see the
> > title of the CD etc. . It shouldn't effect playing. If applications
> > seem to be playing but you hear nothing it's often a problem of
> > mixer settings.
>
> especially if it comes from a CD!
> I am lost
>
> Maryse

An audio CD can be read using an analog cable between CDROM and
soundcard with the drive doing the digital->analog conversion. This
cable is often not installed on new systems. Totem uses the IDE cable
to transfer digital audio data to the system. Laptops often must use
the 'totem system'.

You haven't answered my previous question: "What happened when you used
aplay?" ;-)

    -Frans