On Saturday 14 August 2004 07:22, M.Schild wrote:
> > What output do _you_ get?
>
> ( I must have got my wording wrong the first time :-(  )
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ms]$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Beep_RingRing.wav
> Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/KDE_Beep_RingRing.wav' : Unsigned 8
> bit, Rate 22254 Hz, Mono
>
> > What's the output of 'aplay -l' ?

> card 0: SI7012 [SiS SI7012], device 0: Intel ICH [SiS SI7012]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> Thank you for persevering
> Maryse

No problem! Did you get back the $ prompt after the first command? You
should get it back within half a second because it's a short soundfile.
If the only problem is that you don't hear anything it probably means a
mixer problem. With alsamixer (started from the command line) you must
raise the PCM and master sliders and both channels must be unmuted (no
'MM' on top of the slider. Toggle with the 'm' key.

HTH,

    -Frans