Stephen Kühn wrote:

> I know it's running; already been through that with the IRC guys; yeah,
> it's running, restarted heaps of times already. The issue is that the
> client machine (a customer's machine) doesn't seem to want to pick up
> the IP; I can set it up with static and it's right to go, but when I set
> it to DHCP it doesn't suck and IP from the pool...banging head now.

If the client get a 169.xx.xx.xx address, then it can't connect to a dhcp
server on the network, which would suggest
a) server's not running
b) server's unreachable
c) ghost in the machine

Since you say a is ok, and c is not likely, then I'd check
shorewall for ports 67 and 68? both tcp and udp?

A 169.xx.xx.xx is the address it takes when tried to get from dhcp with no
result (usually a timeout of a minute when starting network), AND pinged
with no response. In the clients /var/log/message, grep for 'claim'

/Björn