1.  I dont have a CD writer at the moment.  Have ordered a Plextor
PX-708A/SW-BL so I backed up to a /backup partion on my HD seemed to
work OK but after reinstalling the files are 0Bytes. Also copied my
user to the same partition, its OK.

2.  The reason for reinstalling was that I had several hangs and I ran
reboot w/out running fsck several times.  I suspect that this was the
reason for the troubles that followed.

3. I was running the login manager mdkkdm, after several reboots I
discovered that I had been switched to TWM.  I had never heard to TWM
and dont remember downloading it, but, after login it has a blue
screen, mdk 10.0 default with nothing on it untill you left click on
the desktop.  Then a small box appears with some option none of which
worked(reason for reinstalling).

4. I then reinstalled and after that was complete I went to Easyurpmi
and set up all media.  Everything worked fine when I tried to update
via gui it refused. Although I had downloaded the update media.  No
problem I'll use urpmi --update.  That was a problem also.  I
downloaded 115 programs and installed most of them but some didnt
download (Error was no file).  Also a number of the programs I didnt
have in the data base (Noticed samba.  Which I have no use for).  After
that fiasco I did a urpmi.removemedia -a and removed all media.  Then
easyurpmi again and reinstalled everything selection of a new
PLF(paris) since that seemed to be the one that had the most problem,
did not select update media this time. Went back to the gui and did a
normal update of 324MB.   One other thing, most of the programs
downloaded with urpmi had bad signatures, none of the gui updates had a
bad sig.

5.  I blame this on my CD rom (Sony 701) several years old in
combination with new CD's,  Perhaps the read was bad and corrupted the
system.  Any explanetion welcome?

Sorry for the long email.
--
Regards;