On Saturday 14 August 2004 04:40 pm, CHARLIE M wrote:
> Please excuse this weird looking message, if it is. I'm stuck
> on the web interface because the last update to cooker did
> strange things to the system. Or maybe it's all PEBCAK? lol
>
> Charlie

   Just had this conversation OT.  So I'll paste it in

       Wait till Monday or Tues.  Cooker mirrors sometimes are
fubar'd, specially on weekends.  Currently proxad is only showing
me a problem for kdelib* updates.   BUT, what packages you
encounter will of course vary from mine, as it's doubtful we have
all the same ones installed.  If the problem persists too long
you mave have to find a different mirror. A guide is here
http://cookermirrors.skycon.net/    and is currently showing
problems on several mirrors.

    For my kdelib* deal I used a browser this mornin to bring up
the mirror, and sure enough, even tho the mirror is up to date,
and the hdlist is in sync, a few files are missing.  In cases
like this, Mandrake's central internal server probly hasn't sent
them to public mirrors yet.  That often happens late on Friday.

     FWIW tho, since we're talking about cooker.... if you
encouter an update with a lot of packages, specially libs and sys
files, it's a good idea to run    alias upall='rpm --rebuilddb &&
updatedb && update-menus -n && ldconfig -v'    to make sure your
system is in sync with the updates.  Then logout and back into
your WM.  I always do a <Ctrl+Alt+Bsp> while log'd out to restart
the X server, which also auto-log's me back into my desktop
(KDE).

   Charlie, come over to the darkside.
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American