Greg Meyer wrote:
On Sunday 15 August 2004 08:27 am, Graham Watkins wrote:

Hi Y'all

I've had this problem for some time and nothing I try seems to fix it.
Whenever I run VMware, unless I switch off Shorewall and reboot first, I
am unable to access the virtual network and consequently can't save or
work on files outside the virtual disk.

I've tried setting up the following firewall rule along lines suggested
to me some time back by Anne - apparently it worked for her.

ACCEPT  loc:172.16.210/24, !172.16.210.1  $fw  all  -     -

For me though,  no joy.

Can anyone tell me if there's something wrong with the rule or if there's anything else I need to do. I'm a total newbie when it comes to Shorewall and life's probably too short to become an expert.

Another possibility is to install a program that I can use to close the
internet connection when Shorewall is stopped. There used to be such a
thing in an earlier version of Mandrake (8.2, I think) but it's not on
9.2 which I'm using. This of course would be very much the second best
option.

Any input gratefully received.  I'm surprised this problem isn't better
documented.

You probably have to add the vmnet interface to the /etc/shorewall/interfaces file as a trusted interface.

I've already added vmnet1 to interfaces in the local zone but it doesn't help. I'm wondering if I should open some ports.
--
Graham Watkins

"Don't be lucid and ironic; people will turn this against you to show
that you aren't a nice person." - Albert Camus

Registered Linux user number 265254      http://counter.li.org