BJ Tracy wrote:

Hello All,

I have a number of books on Linux and find them to be a wealth of knowledge but they are really vague when it comes to downloads and installations.

Can someone suggest a good book that will walk me thru a download and installation. I may be making this harder than it is, but I have been on MS all my life and just recently switched to Linux. It's been years since I last did a lot of work on the keyboard(in the terminal) but I really do like what I'm doing now in Linux.

A couple of NEWBIE questions:
1) When you download a program such as clamav, where should you down load to? A temp file in the usr file?

2) After extracting the files form the tar, and you do a 'make' and a 'make install' , , , , , does Linux know where to put the program files?
Just a little confused.

Any good books on this,  PLEASE ADVISE.
bj

Downloader programmes for linux,
D4X,  and   NT,
try,  www.rpmfind.net   and serch for any package you think suitable.

D4X,  and   NT  is  Very gui but easy to use.

You download the packages wherever you want to store them.

If possible, to start with, download .rpm packages pertaining to your distribution as they will install easy, more or less like windblows, and they remove in just the same sort of way.

Then start downloading "src" or source code verson .rpms
these need compiling before installing and make better installations to your particular hardware and OS.

After than you move on to tar balls, or .tar files.
./configure
make
make install

but read the readme files to each package carefully.
They do vary some.

For documentatation try googling.

If you get stuck ask here again.

John