On Thursday 19 August 2004 05:19, SnapafunFrank wrote:
> Thereidos wrote:
<snip>
> > (OpenGL thing). Am I right?
apparantly glxgears when running is pretty low.

> >As for the NVidia installer I haven't got any problems with that.
> > You just have to remember to turn your X server off and run it as a
> > root (and try to read carefully :)).
I ran the Nvidia installer but forgot to turn off X.  Then realized that
I am not sure how to do that.  I understand alt F1-6 and I assumed that
would do it but was informed that wouldnt do it.

> And if'n you get it right you'll see the nVidia splash screen when
> either rebooting or firing up your X .
I get the nVidia splash screen now.
> And Cezary 'Thereidos' Morga is correct. The generic driver doesn't
> support OpenGL. OpenGL is required for glxgears and the like to
> actually run, though if you installed it correctly you ought to hear
> sounds and see the start 'page' , before you give up on it. [ I guess
> I need a new graphics card...... bugger!]
While running 2.6.3-7mdk glxgrears ran fine just at 300-500 fps IIRC the
max was around 1000. All I did was install 2.6.3.15 and glxgears will
not run now.  If you can give me detailed instructions for turning off
X I'll do it again?
Regards;
Hoyt
Registered Linux User #363264