frankieh wrote:

Erylon Hines wrote:

On Friday 20 August 2004 06:50 pm, JoeHill wrote:

| ...but I'll give you this: anyone choosing KDE over XFCE needs their head
| examined.

Sorry dooD, but my wife would never have quit Winders if it hadn't been for the KDE interface. Anything that is too different from Windows and it would have been a no go from the get go. It's call xenophobia, and 90% of the Windows users have it. All these folks want is an OS interface that is easy to use and understand, and especially one that they don't have to learn from scratch. Xfce, as much as I like it, is too different to be of use to your average Windows convert. Ditto for Enlightenment, Ice, and even Gnome. My wife described Gnome as "weird looking and ugly". Any Windows user can convert to KDE without giving it much thought, and that makes it a useful interface, in my book. The other window managers are pretty much for geeks, even though many (most) are really more intelligently designed (that, I think, we can agree on).

I agree, and I think KDE bashing is a pointless affair, its one of our tools, and at least with linux you get a choice..

Later on when they are comfortable with Linux abit, most of them try different things and find one they like, but at least initially, KDE provides them with a familiar enviroment.

And therein lies the biggest problem of all....... Those or us who care to look for something different, have no problem with any GUI ( or not ) because we accept that Linux is another operating system, but still others looking for 'something' different are expecting a 'free' windows affair. Then there are the other users of our ' can only afford one ' hardware... they tend to come back "unhelpful" in our attempts to supply a 'more' affordable alternative, leaving some of us wishing we could be on a deserted island, heaps of batteries at the ready [ pun intended ] to play and work all day with our own informed choices. ( Then I suppose we get to be cast out altogether... nothing seems to work these days, does it.)

--
Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213